Saturday, 6 July 2013

First Christmas Card

I really can't believe I am making Christmas cards already! However, I wanted to try some scenic cards out this year. So here goes!
I started by flicking masking fluid over the white card to create the snowy background and when dry masked off the lower half of the card and the moon to brayer the sky. I wasn't too happy with the result so out came the sponges and with a bit of dabbling I achieved the result I was looking for.. I moved the mask around to make snow humps and used the same pink and bluey grey as the sky to highlight them. I stamped all the images in black and added a large star and a few smaller ones using a Sakura Clear Star pen. These are showing as black dots in the photo but in real time they look quite pretty! I also added some "snow" on the trees using a Sakura white pen.  When thoroughly dry the masking fluid was gently rubbed off to reveal the snowflakes.


Black and white card stock. Stamps: GKD Sentiment and Stag , Superstamp Tree Line, Stampscapes Pine trees 195G, Memento Tuxedo Black, Rangers Distress Inks : Stormy Sky, Faded Jeans, Chipped Sapphire, Spun Sugar, Milled Lavender. Brayer, sponges, Sakura White and Clear Star Jelly Roll pens, Windsor and Newton Art Masking Fluid, old toothbrush, paper for masking.

Challenges entered:
Always Playing With Paper- Merry Monday July Challenge
SplitCoastStampers Colour Challenge CC336
ABC Challenges ABC35 Anything Goes
Paper Crafting Journey - Christmas in July
Crafty Hazelnuts Christmas Challenge  extra for July

Enjoy the rest of this beautiful weekend and don't forget the sun cream!

Kathy
If all else fails - eat chocolate

19 comments:

  1. This is an incredibly beautiful card...suitable for framing! :0) Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just beautiful - I became a follower yesterday and now have the privilege of seeing your work first hand... my sister was raving about some of your gorgeous cards so I just had to come on over have a great week - hugs... Mxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful card Kathy, your winter sky looks amazing :) Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is absolutely stunning Kat! WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful first card for the holidays! That will inspire all of us to get started! TFS!

    I saw you on MIM.
    Come and see what I've done lately!
    kren@
    http://afourthlife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow - this is a work of art. I am in awe of the lovely scene you've created. Thanks so much for joining us this week at ABC Challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely gorgeous! Love the entire scene. I have the masking fluid just don't remember to use it. Did you use a mask for the hills or did you just tear papers?
    Thanks for joining us at Merry Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Phenomenal card Cathy...really a work of art. Your scene is outstanding!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is jaw dropping gorgeous, Kathy! I hope you'll share some more at Merry Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness this is absolutely stunning Kathy! I just LOVE the scene you've created - can I send you my address so you can send it to me for Christmas? - lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, my! This is a beautiful Christmas card! Thanks for playing along this week at ABC Challenges

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is absolutely gorgeous, Kathy! Love the way you have done the sponging and the colours are amazing. Thank you for sharing with us at Merry Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stunning card Kathy, I love all the wonderful details. Thank you for joining us for Merry Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous Christmas card Kathy. I love the brayer/sponged sky. Thanks for playing along with us at PCJ in our "Christmas in July" challenge and good luck. Hugs, Gale DT

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Kathy oh you can never start to early with the christmas card belive me I laughed at people making them so early before as I can never get my Christmas mojo to work this time of year and ended up still making the cards I needed on christmas eve so it's never to arly
    And what a creatin it's beautiful I love it I have also had a quick look at some of your othr work to and am now a follower
    Oh by the way thanks for playing along with us at papercrafting journey and good luck
    Jacki xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I saw your lovely Christmas card on Always playing with paper Merry Monday - you might also like to enter this into my CHNC challenge extra for July - I'd love to see it there too. x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for linking for my CHNC challenge extra for July - hope to see you again soon. x

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is just beautiful! LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just LOVE your card!I wanted to let you know that I’ve chosen your creation as one of my Weekly Picks and linked back to your blog! Thanks so much for sharing your talent. Kathy at stampsatplay.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my blog - I really appreciate you taking the time out to do so - Kathy :)